James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Friday, September 15, 2023

The Value of the Flat Earth

 


What the Flat Earth might look like on a map. The white that encircles it is an ice wall. (Creator: Trekky0623.)


Last week I watched the documentary Behind the Curve (2018) about people who believe that the surface of our planet Earth is flat. It's an interesting watch with extensive cooperation from the Flat Earthers themselves, who even let some of their failed experiments be filmed. The documentary also interviews scientists who refuse to use ridicule and shame but are concerned about this belief.


I suppose I've believed the planet is a sphere for as long as I remember, as there was a globe in our house. I still believe it because secondary sources overwhelmingly agree and, although I've spent comparatively little time on the subject, I've seen videos arguing for the globe that are far more compelling than flat earth arguments.


That said, I couldn't tell you why I believe the Earth is a sphere except that that's what I've been told. One thing I did check a few years ago: nonstop flights are made from South Africa to Australia, Australia to South America, South America to South Africa; the distances would be too far for a nonstop on a flat earth. But as for the science, don't remember all the details about sun shadows, moon positions, etc. I wouldn't know how to prove the Earth is round all by myself, and in my day-to-day living, it doesn't seem to matter at all.


That said, I am sympathetic to contrarians, those who have a minority or even fringe view of things. (Most notably, I believe Jerry Sandusky is innocent.) I started questioning all my beliefs after the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. Once I realized that the State is founded on violence, then all its works seemed to be based on lies. 


And so I understand the feeling that "we've been lied to the whole time." I just don't believe the shape of the Earth is one of lies. 


My disagreement with Flat Earthers, however, is probably more existential. As I understand it, their belief comes from passages in the Bible. To some people, the Bible must be literally and factually correct in all things for their Christian faith to be valid.


But this leads to a conundrum.. The conspiracy to deceive the entire world into believing the Earth is flat is too vast to be believable unless absolutely everything we seem to know is actually fake. To keep the ruse alive, a substantial number of human beings (or entities posing as human beings) are working to keep the rest of us in the dark.   


Such persons wouldn't have the same values as the rest of us. We'd be as livestock, and they'd be our incognito caretakers. Not only have they gone to great lengths to make us think the Earth is a globe, they even faked ancient writings to make us think smart people have believed in the globe for millennia.


This group of overseers has the power to shape our reality. Maybe with a Star Trek-style holodeck or Matrix-style computer program. Or just thorough forms of manipulation and mind control. 


My question is, would not this vast, powerful group have also written (or fraudulently rewritten) The Bible itself? That only makes sense. What doesn't make sense is to believe everything is faked and rigged except The Bible.


And if there happens to be a great awakening, and the masses figure out they've been lied to, what then? Our revolution would be led and managed by this same powerful group, and we'll be back to where we are now with a few minor changes. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." - The Who


If the Earth is flat, that doesn't make the Bible true. It means nothing is true. 


And that's something I appreciate about the whole idea of the Flat Earth Idea: it makes me ponder the possibility that everything, including the evidence of my senses, isn't real. 


What if nothing is real? What if all the theories of natural science and facts of history are lies?


Does the idea frighten you? Liberate you?


Would your faith be shattered? Very possibly. But that's the idea: to ask yourself in what or in whom you place your faith.


Is your faith based on what other people have told you?


Is it in institutions you didn't create?


Is it in the current scientific consensus?


Is it in a leader who, this time, will be your savior, even though all others who've led from the same office have failed in their objectives?


Because after your faith is shattered, the sun will still rise. The flowers will still be beautiful, the squirrels will still scurry, and the birds will still sing. 


Maybe your joy is found in some place other than what others want you to believe.


James Leroy Wilson writes The MVP Chase (subscribe) and JL Cells (subscribe) and is a monthly columnist at Meer. Thank you for your subscriptions and support! You may contact James for writing, editing, research, and other work: jamesleroywilson-at-gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment