James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

My political incorrectness: ten more examples

The first ten.

11. Debating politics is like debating merits of claustrophobia vs. agoraphobia:  my fears vs. your fears. A rational conversation  can't be had.

12. I don't see patriotism as some great virtue. Anyone in Montana is almost as likely to be a stranger to me as someone in Montreal, Mexico City, or Marrakesh. We shouldn't unite as "Americans," but as human beings.

13. In  the American Revolution: the wealthiest people in the colonies were inconvenienced because the Crown sought to honor treaties with the Indians. The most honorable people in that war kept to their farms and businesses and tried to steer clear of the bullets.

14. The Founding Fathers believed in liberty because their governments were too cash-strapped to believe in anything else. If they had the technology, Alexander Hamilton would have leapt at facial recognition technology and NSA surveillance.

15. I laugh at the centrist Democrats and neocon Republicans who imposed war and authoritarianism for 15 years after 9/11. They DESERVE Trump and Sanders. The rest of us don't, but they do.

16. If life were dystopian sci-fi fiction, I'd cheer if a rag-tag group of soldiers of fortune rescued Assange and brought him to a safe location, leaving scores of NATO corpses in their wake. But this is real life so, of course, NO VIOLENCE!

17. People think it's fair and democratic to abolish the Electoral College. I'd say it's even MORE fair to have the world vote in the Presidential Election:
"We'll lose Pakistan if we send drones there, Mr. President."
"How many people does it have?"
"200 million."
"Shit."

18. If I ran a social media platform, I'd sell ads to the Ayatollah and be well within my rights.

19. If two countries don't trade freely with each other, they're not allies. If there is some sort of security agreement between them, it's a racket to benefit military industrialists but doesn't have anything to do with "national interest."

20. When I was young, I believed the government because why would it lie? Now, it's so bad that I'm even skeptical of the Surgeon General's warning about cigarettes.


James Leroy Wilson writes from Nebraska. Follow him on Facebook and Twitter. If you find value in his articles, your support through Paypal helps keep him going. Permission to reprint is granted with attribution.


No comments:

Post a Comment