James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Be still and know that YOU are God

 


Image credit: Böhringer



A few months ago I wondered "Where is the kingdom of God?" Older English translations of Luke 17:20-21 in the Bible said it is "within" you whereas newer ones say it is "among" (or "in the midst of") you.


I was taught as a child that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. It's hard to sustain that belief when Bible translations say different things.


Psalm 46 is an example. Here is the entire Psalm in the King James Version (KJV), which was first published in 1611 and until recent decades the predominant English version in the United States. I put the controversial statement in bold. 

1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

8 Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

In Verse 10, the writer is saying I am God, I am this one who "maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth," I am the one who will "be exalted," and all the rest of it.


The verse is, apparently, too confusing or overwhelming to believe, so modern translators have "helped" us.


Here is how eight best-selling English translations render the statement. I put the key differences in bold. (Where the difference is the use of quotation marks, the closing quotation mark is at the very end of verse 10.) 


  • New International Version: He says, Be still, and know that I am God.

  • English Standard Version: Be still, and know that I am God. [quotation marks that aren't in the KJV]

  • New Living Translation: Be still, and know that I am God! [Exclamation and quotation marks]

  • Christian Standard Bible: “Stop fighting, and know that I am God.

  • New King James Version: Be still, and know that I am God; ["am" is italicized]

  • New International Reader's Version: He says, “Be still, and know that I am God.

  • New Revised Standard Version:Be still, and know that I am God! [Quotation and exclamation]

  • New American Standard Version: “Stop striving and know that I am God; (a footnote says, "Or Let go, relax.")


Aside from the New King James Version,  these translations want to make it clear to the reader that the writer of the Psalm is switching voices in verse 10. God is referred to in the third person for nine verses, then switches to the first person in verse 10, then goes back to the third person to close out the psalm.


But is this alteration warranted?


The Orthodox Jewish Bible says, without quotation marks, Be still, and know that I am Elohim. (Elohim is the name of God in Genesis 1:1 that created the heavens and the earth.) 


The Complete Jewish Bible, says, Desist, and learn that I am God.


Robert Young's Literal Translation (1862) says, Desist, and know that I [am] God.


As with the KJV, these translations imply that the power of God is within me, that I am indistinguishable from God, that I am one with God, that I am God.


Like the "kingdom of God" question, modern translators have tried to emphasize an understanding of God as a being external to us. This has seemed to be the understanding of most clergy and theologians since the beginning of Christianity.


But it's not the only understanding, and translators aren't helping us or their own credibility when they impose their own opinions, even if it's a consensus opinion.


Here's another way to interpret the Psalm.


Consider:


  • God is love (1 John 4:8)

  • God is a Spirit (John 4:24)

  • We are God's children (Psalm 82:6, Matthew 6:9)

 

How, then, are we, you and me, not divine spirits?


Take this all together and here's how I understand Psalm 46:


1 Love is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of Love, the holy place of the tabernacles of Love.

5 Love is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: Love shall help her, and that right early.

6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: Love uttered love's voice, the earth melted.

7 Love is with us; Love is our refuge. Selah.

8 Come, behold the works of Love, what desolations Love hath made in the earth.

9 Love maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; Love breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; Love burneth the chariot in the fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am Love: I (love) will be exalted among the heathen, I (love) will be exalted in the earth.

11 Love is with us; Love is our refuge. Selah.

Psalm 46:10 is saying I am that which God is, and God is love. I am love.


You are love.


What love can do, you can do.


As Jesus said (John 14:12):


Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me (Jesus, or Love), the works that I do (that Jesus does, that love does) shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do.


Be still, and know that you are God, because you are Love.


I can "be still and know that I am God," that all the love of God, the love that ends wars, dwells in me. Or, I can reject the notion.


Perhaps the modern translations are more accurate in some sense. That doesn't mean they're more inspiring.


James Leroy Wilson writes JL Cells,The MVP Chase, Daily Miracles, and The Daily Bible Chapter, Thanks for your subscriptions and support! You may contact James for your writing, editing, and research needs: jamesleroywilson-at-gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment