James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Friday, March 07, 2014

March 7, 2014: Pancho, Lefty, the telephone, and more

March 7: today in history (from Wikipedia)

321 – "Emperor Constantine I decrees that the dies Solis Invicti (sun-day) is the day of rest in the Empire." Oh, wait, it's not in the Bible? Wha?

1876 – "Alexander Graham Bell is granted a patent for an invention he calls the telephone." But people didn't actually like it until voice mail. 

1914 – "Prince William of Wied arrives in Albania to begin his reign." Who can ever forget?

1985 – "The song 'We Are the World' receives its international release." Because of it, there's no more world hunger. The recording that Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan wrecked.


Notable quotes (from BrainyQuote unless otherwise noted)

"A company that pays attention to the family unit is a successful company. We don't isolate the family. We don't make rides that say, 'Hey mom, dad, you go sit on the bench.'" - Michael Eisner  (born March 7, 1942)

"I'm certainly not sorry that there were some things I missed. You may think you're missing something at that time but later when you look at it, you didn't miss anything." - Ivan Lendl (born March 7, 1960)

"Don't bother me while I'm eating, or when I'm coming out of the crackhouse or something. Just let me get going."

"I don't understand why people really get upset about something that doesn't affect them at all."

- Wanda Sykes  (born March 7, 1964)


Song of the Day:

Townes Van Zandt (March 7, 1944 – January 1, 1997) would have turned 70 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment