James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Friday, March 28, 2014

March 28: A Killer Day and NOT Constantinople

March 28: today in history (from Wikipedia)

1795 – "Partitions of Poland: The Duchy of Courland and Semigallia, a northern fief of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth,ceases to exist and becomes part of Imperial Russia." Poland seems to be the one long headache of Europe. I don't blame its neighbors for wanting to break it up.

1802 – "Heinrich Wilhelm Matthäus Olbers discovers 2 Pallas, the second asteroid known to man." Asteroids are the death of me. In the 6th grade (or Grade 6) I had a watch that had an Asteroids game. Scarcely six weeks after I got it for my birthday, it was broken after a couple of friends were fighting over it at recess. Looking back, it was the only cool thing I possessed in my lifetime, the only thing my friends envied.
.
1930 – "Constantinople and Angora change their names to Istanbul and Ankara." Which led to one of the great songs of the 20th Century:



Notable quotes (from BrainyQuote unless otherwise sourced)

"Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren (March 28, 1909 – May 9, 1981)

"You have the God-given right to kick the government around - don't hesitate to do so." Edmund Muskie (March 28, 1914 – March 26, 1996)

Song of the Day (in addition to the song above)

Happy birthday to Dave Keuning, lead guitarist for the Killers.


No comments:

Post a Comment