James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

March 22: Sondheim and Shatner

March 22: today in history (from Wikipedia)

238 – "Gordian I and his son Gordian II are proclaimed Roman Emperors." BOTH of them? That'd be a heck of a knot to sort out.

1630 – "The Massachusetts Bay Colony outlaws the possession of cards, dice, and gaming tables." It's almost 400 years later, and even "liberals" STILL believe the State has the right to do this.

1894 – "The first playoff game for the Stanley Cup starts." And the first time somebody said, "It's springtime, and we're still playing hockey?"

1960 – "Arthur Leonard Schawlow and Charles Hard Townes receive the first patent for a laser." I thought Dr. Evil invented it.

1963 – "The Beatles' first album, Please Please Me, is released in the United Kingdom." Their early albums are, if anything, underrated.

Notable quotes (from BrainyQuote unless otherwise sourced)

"Individual property is based on the right of the Individual to the products of his own labor. But if the product of my labour is my own, no one can decide the terms on which I shall part with it but myself. The right of exchanging it at pleasure is involved in the right of ownership. The attempt to establish a compulsory law for this purpose is a gross violation of my acknowledged Sovereignty."
- Stephen Pearl Andrews (March 22, 1812 – May 21, 1886) Source

"How do I stay so healthy and boyishly handsome? It's simple. I drink the blood of young runaways." - William Shatner (born March 22, 1931)

"It doesn't seem that long ago to me that the word 'irreverent' seemed affixed to my name. 'Irreverent newcomer.' I went from irreverent to venerable in what seems to me like the blink of an eye." - Bob Costas (born March 22, 1952)

Song of the Day

Stephen freakin' Sondheim turns 84 today. Happy birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment