James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

February 20, 2014

February 20 in history (from Wikipedia):

1792 – "The Postal Service Act, establishing the United States Post Office Department, is signed by President George Washington." For all its faults, and for the immorality of its monopoly status, it's still done less harm than any other government agency.

1943 – "American movie studio executives agree to allow the Office of War Information to censor movies." And I thought the hyper-patriotism and deference to the military in the post-9/11 world was bad.

1962 – "Mercury program: While aboard Friendship 7, John Glenn becomes the first American to orbit the earth, making three orbits in 4 hours, 55 minutes." My favorite thing about this is it led to the scene in The Right Stuff where Mrs. Glenn, who had a stuttering problem, refused a visit by Vice President Lyndon Johnson, who throws a tantrum in his limo
.
Notable quotes (from BrainyQuote unless otherwise noted)

"What's a cult? It just means not enough people to make a minority." - Robert Altman (February 20, 1925 – November 20, 2006)

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan."

"You got to believe in yourself. Hell, I believe I'm the best-looking guy in the world and I might be right."

- Charles Barkley (born February 20, 1963) Source: http://charlesbarkleyquotes.blogspot.com/

"I get the hypocrisy thing, but any human being is allowed to have a public and private face, and celebrities should have the same rights as regular people to decide what cards they lay down and what cards they hide." - Cindy Crawford (born February 20, 1966)

"I don't blame the average seventeen-year-old punk-rock kid for calling me a sellout. I understand that. And maybe when they grow up a little bit, they'll realize there's more things to life than living out your rock & roll identity so righteously." Kurt Cobain  (February 20, 1967 – c. April 5, 1994)

Song of the Day

Happy 51st to Ian Brown of the Stone Roses!


No comments:

Post a Comment