James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Doing More With More

From what I've heard, Johnny Manziel is rich, coming from oil money.

And yet, he won the Heisman Trophy in 2012. The first freshman to ever do it.

What does this suggest to me? That he's a gifted athlete. More importantly that he goes after it.

In a life of privilege, he's working hard to be the best he can be.

I admire that a lot. He's hungry when he's not literally hungry.

I'm not saying I admire his accomplishments more than I would a true underdog story. Lots of people came from underprivileged backgrounds, and with talent and heart, they overcame obstacles to attain success.

Others came from middle-class backgrounds - not disadvantaged, but not particularly advantaged either, such as Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Whatever slights and insults that came their way were incentives to become greater than they probably imagined.

But that's what I admire about Manziel and the Manning brothers. They were born on third base, but never thought they earned a triple. They worked for the honors and championships they got.

No comments:

Post a Comment