James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

"No Respect Whatsoever"

Someone I know told me of a dream she had. She had company over, and then there was a knock on the door. It was the Secret Service with the Presdent. They asked to use her phone. Not in a position to say no, she let them in. But she was uncomfortable throughout, and all her friends were hiding behind curtains and furniture, doing everything possible to avoid Bush, hoping he wouldn't see them or speak to them.

I feel much the same way. If I got invited to a White House dinner, I wouldn't want to go; I just don't want to meet the man, and I have my reasons. (I feel the same toward most people in Congress, and the few I'd like to meet are those I'd want to know personally anyway, not because I want to brush shoulders with power or because I have "respect for the office.")

What reminded me of the dream is the news that the one Dixie Chick chick regrets apologizing for slamming Bush three years ago. Natalie Maines now says "I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever."

Yes, it's convenient that she says this when Bush's approval ratings are under 30%, but still, good for her! Even though everyone knew her previous apology was fake, and probably imposed on her by agents and record company execs (nobody who is pressured to apologize really apologizes), it is good to officially set the record straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment