James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Thought

After watching the Oscars, I came away most impressed with a person who wasn't nominated, and for all I know wasn't even there. Moreover, this person was involved with a movie I didn't see, have no intention of seeing, and that wasn't nominated for a "major" award (as in, an award that famous people win).

I'm referring to Rob Marshall, the director of Memoirs of a Geisha.

Marshall, whose first and only other movie was 2002's Best Picture Chicago (and who probably should have won best director for it), commands my admiration because Oscars went to Geisha for

-cinematography
-set design
-costume design

When a movie wins those three awards in the same year, you know that the director is at the top of his game. If I'm a studio exec wanting to do a period piece, Marshall would be #1 on my list to direct.

No comments:

Post a Comment