James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Harry Browne

Harry Browne has passed away. He was the 1996 and 2000 Libertarian Party nominee for President. I channel flipped to his acceptance speech on C-SPAN in 1996 and, after hearing Browne the word "libertarian" no longer meant "extremist wacko" to me. Browne is also a co-founder of DownsizeDC.org, for which I currently do some work.

I got to meet him (fortunately), but just once (unfortunately). It was in a hallway at the 2002 Indianapolis convention, where I encountered him and his wife. I came up to him, told him how influential he was to me, and how I appreciated his efforts. He thanked me and, without missing a beat, turned to his wife Pamela and said, "Pamela, I'd like you to meet James Wilson, from Chicago." (I was wearing a name tag.)

DownsizeDC.org's post on Harry is here.

Lew Rockwell's post is here.

Brian Doherty's post at Reason's Hit and Run is here.

The Hammer of Truth's post is here.

Tom Knapp's post is here.

Ron Holland's post is here.

They are all different from each other, and quite informative. This isn't just "He was a nice guy, he will be missed." No doubt I could spend all day linking more Browne posts throughout the 'sphere as they are sure to pile up. But you get the idea. This was a great man.

1 comment:

  1. i don't generally pick up the celebrity awe game, but i too got to meet Harry Browne once. politically, it was my second biggest thrill, after the cocktail party discussion with pat buchanan. but i value some friends who have acquired celebrity status from before they were known, and i wish that attention focus and personal scutiny on no one - whether by paparazzi or homeland security or just another psychofan.
    a toast to harry browne

    ReplyDelete