James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Prediction

When I was a kid, my mind wandered to conceiving a sitcom. I thought it would be neat if there was a show as good and similar in style to the Mary Tyler Moore Show and Taxi, but instead of being set in a workplace, it would be set in .... a bar.

A year later, through no involvement or effort on my part, Cheers debuted.

Later in the 1980's, while Star Trek, the Next Generation was in its early years, I dreamed of a spinoff. A federation starship's skeleton crew gets thrown to the other side of the galaxy, where through a chain of events they take control of a spaceport set among warring planets. This vision didn't come to pass; instead, two series: Deep Space Nine and Voyager were created much in line with my thoughts.

Several years later, I was talking with friends about urban legends, and I said that they should make a movie incorporating them. The movie was made; I didn't see it as I heard it was pretty bad.

Those are examples of numerous times that Hollywood has served up something very much like what my thoughts envisioned. So this time I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction about something else I'd like to see.

By the end of the decade, Hollywood is going to produce a silent movie. It's going to be in black and white, but it won't be grainy or intentionally look like an old movie. It will be set in the modern day. At least one A-list actor will be involved. People initially won't know if they'd go to see a silent movie, but word of mouth will make it a big hit. Many will say it's the funniest movie ever made - despite being a silent movie it will have biting satire and the most clever and elaborate slapstick and chases ever orchestrated on film.

It will be called The Keystone Cops.

Why am I writing this down? Because I think it would be a cool movie to see, and so that I could say "I told you so" with irrefutable proof when it does hit the big screen.

2 comments:

  1. James,
    Have you thought about the Giants winning the World Series lately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it seems obvious that we should create james' movie, with the story line including the giant's winning the series. could barry bonds play the A-list role - he doesn't seem to have much to say to the press.

    ReplyDelete