James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Peter Jennings, RIP

Peter Jennings's death is, I suppose, a shocking non-surpise. Dying of lung cancer at 67 is not surprising. Still, Jennings's death has an "I can't believe he's gone" feel to it, something I haven't felt maybe since maybe Dale Earnhardt or George Harrison died.

Unlike Brokaw and Rather, Jennings I don't think ever did retire. Still, even though I preferred him when I did watch network news (which I've watched less of over the past few years), I felt it was time for him to go, too. That media era, that style of network "news," was rendered obsolete by Headline News and the Internet.

Still, this isn't the way I'd have wanted him to go out. He should have quit the desk, but stayed around to make documentaries, write books, pop up for interviews every now and again. My condolences to his family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment