James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

April 2: Emile, Camille, Emmylou, and other All Stars

April 2: today in history (from Wikipedia)

1513 – "Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León first sights land in what is now Florida." Was he Jewish? Was he sailing from New York? 

1902 – "'Electric Theatre,' the first full-time movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles, California." And nobody ever read a book again. 

1917 – "World War I: United States President Woodrow Wilson asks the U.S. Congress for a declaration of war on Germany." Biggest disaster for the U.S., and maybe the world, ever.

Notable Quotes (from BrainyQuote unless otherwise sourced)

"If I cannot overwhelm with my quality, I will overwhelm with my quantity." - Emile Zola (2 April 1840 – 29 September 1902)

"An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less." - Nicholas Murray Butler (April 2, 1862 – December 7, 1947) SOURCE

"Except for naval and air exercises, our military should be stationed on American soil, where service men and women can lead normal lives in close proximity to family and friends." - Camille Paglia (born April 2, 1947)

"I love Chicago, but I didn't think I had enough soul to be a Cubs fan." - Emmylou Harris (born April 2, 1947)

Song of the Day

Happy 47th birthday to Greg Camp, who while in Smash Mouth penned several of its hits including this:


No comments:

Post a Comment