James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Thursday, September 05, 2013

A Questionable Pivot

A couple of days ago, I discovered a new cable channel, "Pivot." Apparently, it's a blend of the former Documentary Channel and some other channel mixed with new stuff. From what little I've read about it, it's supposed to appeal to the "millennials," seemingly educated, cosmopolitan ones. Shows they feature include Canada's "Little Mosque on the Prairie" and one about a young gay love, and the Australian sci-fi cult hit Farscape.

And, it seems that it intends to integrate its programming with mobile apps to make viewing interactive, something supposedly the target audience will enjoy.

Is this a good strategy? I don't know. All I know is I saw a documentary on it the other night, "The Man Nobody Knew: In Search of My Father" about former CIA chief William Colby. Great and informative.

Also, it's safe to say over 40% of its 2 1/2 hour presentation was commercials. The last hour, it seemed like half. Hardly a way to attract anybody, let alone younger demographics.

Indeed, this discouraged me from sitting down and watching last night's documentary, "You Got Trumped," about you-know-who trying to steal land in Scotland to build a golf course.

Maybe Pivot's programming will attract audiences. And I admire the channel for providing intelligent programming while also trying to attract the younger crowd.

Unfortunately for Pivot's ad executives, the programs will all be recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment