James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Comments Ethics

I just published this on Rod Dreher's blog (though awaiting moderation as I write this):

Rod Dreher and The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/12/why-is-the-media-apologizing-about-kermit-gosnell-coverage.html) make the same mistake. The controversy isn’t over the alleged horrible crimes, which people on all sides seem to recognize, it’s about a black doctor giving white patients preferential treatment. What progressive, liberal, or conservative wants to address THAT?

Here's the thing: there were 51 comments before I commented. I didn't read any of them. And, I'm unlikely to read more of them.

Nor do I feel the need to read follow-up comments.

If a dozen other people made the same point that I made in their comments, great. If I added another, that's a further signal to Rod that he's missing the point. The more the better.

I figure, if people want to debate things, there are still forum boards and even email lists. My comment to a blog post, however, should be regarded as having the same function as a "letter to the editor" (or in this case, the blogger). It's not to engage other commenters,  but only to provide feedback to the writer of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment