James Leroy Wilson's one-man magazine.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

The 4th Male Lead in a Low-Rated 60's TV Show

If ever there was a "supporting actor" on a tv show you could say it was Scotty on the original Star Trek, who, unlike Capt. Kirk, Spock, and Dr. McCoy, wasn't guaranteed many lines in any particular episode. But, as I recall at least, he did appear in nearly every episode, and warranted what we then called a "doll." I asked for one on my 7th birthday, having known the show through reruns. And it was indeed a doll, 5-6 inches, not a 2-3 inch "action figure." You could change shirts with other Star Trek dolls to create, say, your own infiltration stories. Scotty was my favorite character on Star Trek. And James Doohan, the actor who played him, is dead at the age of 85.

He was diagnosed a year ago with Alzheimer's and withdrew from public life.

I am thankful for his life and contribution.

But, given his affliction, I am not sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment